cheap red bridesmaid dresses

I was born in the 40's. In the mid 50's when i was about 7-8 years old, we lived about 70 miles from grandpa and grandma Weaver. We got up early this particular morning and drove to their farm which was about 4 miles east of small town Oklahoma USA on a gravel road about the last 2 miles. This is the sight that appeared before our eyes when we pulled into the drive. Grandpa had killed 2 fat hogs that morning and had a 55 gal tin barrel setting on top of a wood fire getting hot so he could dip them hogs in the boiling hot water and scrape them so they could be sugar cured and smoked. He had one of them by a rope on it's back legs and threw over a limb he had set up for this purpose.Now; this hog was so big when i seen it, i thought to myself, how is he going to handle such a big hog by himself. In those days they wanted them hogs to weigh 300-350 lbs, and fat, so they could render the lard for cooking, folks in the 50's mostly used hog lard. Now; usually when hog killing time come around in the fall, there would be 2 or 3 neighbor folks help, but not this time. Grandma had 2, no 3 wash tubs full of hog entrails. No 3 wash tubs is the size we took our baths in. She was intending to clean the fat off the entrails, wash them, and turn them inside out, cleaning them good so they could stuff with sausage. They did not have runnin water and had to draw the water from the well with a bucket. My mother would have been 27-28 and daddy 31-32. Know what they did? my mother got one of grandma's long full length aprons and put it on and started helping her, daddy went to help grandpa. Me; when i saw all this, i decided that i needed to get out of sight, and just peeked at them from a concealed area every now and then(them hog entrails smelled). Grandpa and daddy between the 2 were able to dip those hogs ( i do not know what grandpa would have done if we had not showed up). Grandpa and grandma did not have electricity, or gas, and so they did not have a phone. They had somewhere about a 34 Ford pickup and grandpa drove, but not sure if he had a license. They worked all day, butchering and salting and grinding sausage and rendering lard. Lard was rendered in a big black cast iron kettle, setting on top of a wood fire built in the back yard. That night we had a special supper of fried pork liver and heart, it sure was good. The next morning was the biggest treat, we had scrambled eggs and hog brains. Later in the winter when we would come see them, and i got to go get sausage from the smoke house it was a big treat, that sausage in those entrails would be hanging like 10 or 12 feet long and looped from the ceiling. When the hog is to be sugar cured and smoked the skin is left on it, that is why they would scrape them. They hand milked 10-12 cows every morning and night. When we went to see them, we would get up way before daylight, grandma would fix breakfast and we would eat and daddy would milk for grandma(it was a treat for her). We would leave the house before daylight with coal oil lanterns, and i got to carry one of them(what a treat). When the milk was brought back to the house, it was ran through the milk separator (separate the milk and cream), and put in metal milk barrels and the milk man would come around and pick them up(cream was worth more than just milk). Grandma saved some cream back to make butter. Grandpa has hurt in WW1 and drew a small check, plus milk and cream was their living. Grandma made butter and sold eggs at the store in town for her extra money. Grandma's white flour biscuits were the very best, baked in that wood oven, they had a hint of oak smoke, and put a big hunk of cow butter on them(that was real good)(the best). In the summer i stayed with them sometime for a couple weeks. Grandma would fire up that wood stove(early in the morning) and she would fix, biscuits, 2 pans corn bread, breakfast, and stewed potatoes. In the summer she just heated it up early in the morning, except Sunday and then she would fry chicken, she would go out to chicken house, catch 2 chickens, ring their heads off, dress'em and fry'em. Every day at lunch we had corn bread and stewed potatoes(everyday except Sunday) and at night corn bread and milk and any stewed potatoes that were left. In the winter when the stove was on all day, she would cook pinto beans. No meat through the week when the pork ran out. Grandpa died and never had electricity or runnin water or gas, or phone, Grandma sold the farm and moved to town. These were hard working people, who never asked for anything from anybody. We set on the porch in the evening and listen to the bob whites and later the whip-a-ril's and then the coyotes, and when the sun set we went to bed. I consider myself to be very blessed to be born poor, born in the 40's, born in Oklahoma and small town Oklahoma. Thank You Lord: cheap red bridesmaid dresses